Homemade Italian Hummus
Usually the recipe for Hummus calls for Tahini. I use oregano instead. To me, it’s just better and does give it an Italian flavor I love.
It’s super easy to make.
3 cups of soft chick peas
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to food processor
- Turn on food processor for at least 2 minutes.
- Too thick: If it is too think add more oil.
- You can use any oil you choose, it doesn’t have to be evoo.
- Smoothness: If it isn’t smooth enough, you can add a tablespoon of peanut butter. Normally letting the food processor work for 2 minutes straight will help with smoothness. If it’s still too clumpy, let it run in the processor a little longer.
- Salt: Add salt to taste if you do not cook your own peas.
- Yield: 3 cups of chick peas will yield approximately 3 cups of Hummus.
- Serve with your favorite crackers or veggies.
- You can freeze what you don’t use!
- The cooking time above does not demonstrate the time it takes for dry chick peas to cook. I cook one bag of dry chick peas in the crock pot of enough water to cover them by 2 inches and 2 tablespoons of sea salt for 4 hours or until soft. That’s why I do not add salt to the recipe above. You can use canned chic peas.
- You can use canned organic chick peas too! Keep taste testing until it’s to your liking! Enjoy~