How to Make Funnel Cakes at Home – Recipe & Video!
Funnel cakes are such a fun treat..and easy to make!
It doesn’t matter when I make them – be it winter or summer, they’re always a hit at my house!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla
- In a large bowl, us a sifter to sift all dry ingredients together, then add the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Mix everything together. (It’s not necessary however, if you have time to let it rest in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, the flavor is even better)
- Heat 2 cups of oil in a deep frying pan on medium to high heat. (I used canola)
- Pour mix in a zip lock bag.
- *The mix needs to be runny enough that it will flow easily from the baggy but not so runny it’s like water.
- Cut off a small corner (around 1/2 of an inch) from the zip lock baggy. The wider the cut, the thicker your funnel cake will be.
- *Test the heat of the oil by placing your finger under running water and flicking the water off your finger, into the oil. When the water starts to spit or pop, you know the oil is hot enough to proceed.
- Pour mix in a circular motion into the oil…watch video to see this step.
- When the edges are golden brown, turn over.
- When the other side is also golden brown, take out and place on a plate covered with a paper towel to drain the oil.
- When cool enough to touch but still warm, sift confectioners sugar over the top.
- Viola, you have funnel cakes just like the carnival!
- Most funnel cake recipes don’t use vanilla or sugar. You can leave them out if you wish.
- Don’t walk away because these will cook very quickly and can burn in no time flat. These make super fun treats for: birthday parties with a circus theme, rainy days, snow days, cookouts and get-togethers. Enjoy!